Sunday, January 25, 2009

Questions and Advice...

I had been waiting to tell my students at school that I am pregnant until they started to notice. Well, my bump must have looked particularly bigger than usual on Thursday because several students poked at it and said, "I think you have a baby in there." I decided I had better make an announcement on Friday before rumors started to fly. So I told the kids, "I have something exciting to tell you," and they guessed that we were going to play a game or have a special snack. I said, "No...I am going to have a baby, it's in my tummy right now!" They looked very confused and looked at me, and then at my belly, and had a lot of questions and advice. Some of the questions included: Was it in there yesterday? What is it doing right now? Can it see? Where does it go to the bathroom? Does it kick you? Is it a boy or a girl? (And my personal favorite) Will you bring it to school tomorrow after it is born? I took the time to answer all of their questions and then the advice started. One little boy whose mom just had a baby said, "When you go to the hospital, it is going to hurt really bad and then when you come home the baby cries a lot." Thanks for the positive reinforcement! When I asked them for advice on names, they had a lot to say. Some of their favorites included: Cindy, Princess, Valentine, Joseph, Elijah and Spiderman. I am not so sure Baby Allen will end up as Princess or Spiderman but you never know! It was so fun to talk to them about the baby, they were so excited. I have a feeling that we will have many more conversations about the baby especially as my tummy continues to grow! I can't wait to see what kind of advice they will have next!

3 comments:

  1. 1st

    My vote is for Spiderman Allen. Looks like the kids weren't believing, "Mrs. Allen just ate too much last weekend" anymore. You should post some pictures of yourself in the elastic jeans. Hope all is well, Feb. 9th is coming soon!

    -Uncle Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can attest that you and your tummy look absolutely adorable!! As for the elastic waist jeans "uncle Mike" speaks of... they are the bomb!! Can't wait until the 9th; only 3 more weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha Mike and I are on the same page and Spiderman Allen is for sure my favorite. Well if you have a girl, Princess is pretty great. Can't wait for the 9th!!

    ReplyDelete